Home > INTERNATIONAL > Apply for Aid

Apply for Aid

As an International student, you may qualify for a few programs depending upon your visa status. For the 2016-2017 academic year, please download the ISFAA (International Student Financial Aid Application from the FORMS page.  The priority date to submit the ISFAA is May 1. Completion of the ISFAA does not guarantee that aid will be awarded. With a U.S. co-signer, you may also be eligible to apply for an Alternative Student Loan.
Mexican Citizens with Financial Need Waiver
The Mexican Citizens with Financial Need Waiver has been established to permit a small number of individuals with financial need, who are citizens of Mexico, to enroll in any public university in Texas while paying the resident tuition rate.
  • You must be a citizen of Mexico and reside in Mexico.
  • You must show financial need.
  • You must attend an eligible Texas public university.
To be eligible to receive this waiver, you must complete the 2016-2017 application to apply for Summer 2017. To apply for the 2017-2018 waiver, you must complete the 2017-2018 International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA), the applications can be found on our FORMS page.

Other financial assistance for international students may be reviewed at International Student Services. Application deadlines vary. Please review the specific application for more details.
According to the U.S. Department of Education, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen in order to receive federal financial assistance.
Eligible non-citizens are defined as:
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island); OR
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card).
If you are not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from and verified by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:
  • "Refugee";
  • "Asylum Granted";
  • "Indefinite Parole";
  • "Humanitarian Parole";
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"; OR
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).
You are not eligible to receive federal student aid if you are in the United States with:
  • A Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464);
  • An F1 or F2 student visa only; A J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only; OR
  • A G series visa (pertaining to international organizations).
More information regarding Student Eligibility can be found at the Department of Education's website.

ISFAA Application