What is the eTASFA?
Students who are not United States Citizens, but who are eligible to pay Texas resident tuition by meeting the criteria below, may complete the electronic Texas Application for State Financial Aid (eTASFA) developed by Texas A&M University.
To fill out this application, you must meet the one
of the following three criteria:
- You resided in Texas for 36 consecutive months before earning a high school diploma or GED, and
- Lived part of that time with a parent or legal guardian
- Were not a resident of another state
- Had not been admitted to a college and completed credit prior to 2001
- You hold a visa* that allows you to live in the United States.
- You or your parent (if you are dependent) must be employed in Texas for at least 12 months before you enroll in college
- You (regardless of INS status) have filed an I-130 or I-140 to petition for permanent residency status
*For more information regarding visas that enable you to domicile in the United States, please view the table of Immigration Visa Types.
Complete the eTASFA?
If you meet the criteria above, and are not eligible to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), follow these steps to complete the eTASFA at Texas A&M University.
- Log in to the Howdy Portal.
- If you have already been admitted, go to the My Finances tab. If you have not yet been admitted but have applied for admissions, go to the Applicant tab.
- Under the TASFA channel, click on the link to the Texas Application for State Financial Aid.
- Complete all sections of the application.
- If your application requires parent information, you will have the option of sending your parent an email with instructions on how to electronically sign your eTASFA. Or, you can print the eTASFA for your parent to sign.
- After your application is fully signed and submitted, allow one business day before checking your Financial Aid Portal for additional documents that may be required.
The eTASFA is available for the 2020-2021 academic year. If you need to complete the TASFA for 2019-2020, please print and complete the 2019-2020 TASFA form
After completing the eTASFA, please allow 1-2 business days for the following documents to be requested in your Financial Aid Portal:
- Signed 2018 Parent Tax Return (Dependent students only)
- 2018 Parent W-2 Forms (Dependent students only)
- Signed 2018 Student (and spouse, if married) Tax Return
- 2018 Student (and spouse, if married) W-2 Forms
- Selective Service Registration Acknowledgement Card (male students only).
After your application is reviewed, you may be required to provide additional documents. If so, you will be contacted by a financial aid advisor with more details and instructions.
- Double check documents before submitting. We cannot process documents without all required information and signatures.
- Submit documents in person, by postal mail, fax, or Financial Aid Portal document upload
- Check your tamu.edu email and financial aid portal regularly, as this is how we communicate with students.
- Let us know if you have questions. We are here to help via email, over the phone, and in person.
- Submit the application early! Funding is limited, so you could miss out on funds if you wait to submit your application.
- Leave any questions blank on the TASFA form. ALL questions must have an answer. If you cannot answer a question or submit a document, please check with our office on what to do.
- Email documents. This is not a secure way to send personal information.
- Wait until the priority date to submit the TASFA. Additional documents may be requested after you have submitted your application. Apply early to allow time to submit these before the priority date.