The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is an affordable, low interest loan for graduate and professional students. You can borrow up to the total cost of attendance (minus any other financial aid awarded). If you are denied the Graduate PLUS loan due to an adverse credit history, you will not be eligible for any additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan.
Award eligibility varies based on Professional Enrollment Status. For details, please visit the Award Proration information page.
Texas A&M University highly recommends you apply for the maximum annual amount available to you through the Direct Loan program before applying for the Graduate PLUS Loan.
- You must be a graduate or professional student.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time.
- You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- You must complete Graduate PLUS entrance counseling on the Federal Student Aid website.
Loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2020 and before July 1, 2021
*T equals the 10 year T-Bill rate
**Fixed over life of loan
Repayment is deferred until the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment status.
How to Apply
The 2020-2021 Graduate PLUS loan application is currently available on the Federal Student Aid website.
Graduate PLUS loans are based on credit, therefore in order to apply:
Log onto the Federal Student Aid website.
Sign in using your FSA ID.
Click on "Apply for a Plus Loan".
Select Direct PLUS Loan Request for Graduate/Professional Student Borrowers.
Follow through all steps of the application and submit.
You will receive an instant credit decision after submitting the application.
- Complete the PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students on the Federal Student Aid website.
- Complete Graduate/Professional Direct Loan Entrance Counseling on the Federal Student Aid website.
- Texas A&M University will receive your approved application and award the Graduate PLUS Loan.
- You have the option of appealing the denial on the Federal Student Aid website and will be provided with information on the appeal process during the application process.
- You also have the option of attaching an endorser on the loan, which is like a co-signer.
- If your loan is later approved, Texas A&M University will receive your approved application and award the Graduate PLUS Loan upon completion of the required Plus loan counseling.
For more information visit, repaying your student loans
How to Request an Increase
To increase your Graduate PLUS loan, you will need to follow these steps:
Login to the Federal Student Aid website.
Sign in using FSA ID
Click on “Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan”
Select Direct PLUS Loan Application for Graduate/Professional Students
Select award year
Under reason for direct plus loan request select “new” for a brand new PLUS loan amount OR select “change” to add to preexisting PLUS loan
Choose loan period
Once submitted, the request will be processed within 1-3 business days.
Please note, your credit check from your original Graduate PLUS loan is valid for 180 days. If you submit an increase request within this period, your credit will NOT be pulled again. However, if this period has passed and you submit a new Graduate PLUS application or increase request, your credit will automatically be pulled again.
The Department of Education announces the interest rates for federal PLUS loans by July 1 of each year. Interest rates could be different each year for any new loans. The interest rate is fixed for the life of the loan.