Home > UNDERGRADUATE > Apply for Aid

Apply for Aid

If you are seeking financial assistance, make sure your FAFSA lists Texas A&M University as a school to receive your information electronically. Texas A&M University's federal school code is 003632. Complete all applicable sections and carefully review your information for accuracy.

The FAFSA must be completed each spring in order for you to receive financial aid for the upcoming academic year. The online FAFSA is located at fafsa.ed.gov. In most cases, the online FAFSA can be received by Texas A&M within one week of submission. The paper version of the FAFSA can be obtained from your high school counselor or online. The paper FAFSA can take 3-5 weeks to be sent to Texas A&M. We recommend completing the online FAFSA for quicker results. More information on how to fill out the FAFSA can be found at finaid.ucsb.edu.

For more information regarding your Dependency Status, please view the Dependency Status link on this page.
Scroll Table Left and Right
Aid Needed
FAFSA Date Available Recommended
Submission Date
Fall 2016 2016-2017 January 1, 2016 March 15, 2016
Spring 2017 2016-2017 January 1, 2016 September 30, 2016
Summer 2017 2016-2017 January 1, 2016 February 1, 2017
Fall 2017 2017-2018 October 1, 2016 March 15, 2017
Spring 2018 2017-2018 October 1, 2016 September 30, 2017
Summer 2018 2017-2018 October 1, 2016 February 1, 2018
FAFSA Application Process
  • The FAFSA is now available October 1 for the following school year.
  • You must submit a completed FAFSA in order to be considered for federal/state grants and student loans.
  • You may complete the FAFSA using the online or paper version.
  • The online version can be signed electronically using a FSA ID.
  • The priority deadline for Texas A&M University is March 15.
The FSA ID (a user name and password) must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. If you do not already have a FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to fafsa.ed.gov.

The security of your FSA ID is important. Your FSA ID can be used to:
  • Electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents,
  • Access your personal records, and
  • Make binding legal obligations.
Student Aid Report (SAR)
A SAR is a recap of the information provided on the FAFSA. You should receive it in the mail within four weeks. If you do not receive your SAR, please check online at fafsa.ed.gov or call (800) 433-3243. If you would like to receive the SAR electronically, be sure you provide your email address on the FAFSA. You will receive the SAR electronically within a few days after your information is processed. Your email address will be shared with each of the schools listed on the FAFSA so correspondence can be received from them as well. Texas A&M officially corresponds with students through their assigned TAMU email account (NEO). For more information about NEO please log onto google.tamu.edu. You may sign up for a NEO email account once you have been admitted to TAMU.
In 2001, legislation was passed by the State of Texas to allow certain categories of foreign students to meet state requirements for residency. This classification enables these students to pay resident tuition and fee rates while attending public institutions of higher education in Texas in addition to meeting residency requirements for some state financial aid programs.

To receive this classification, you must be able to meet one of the three criteria below:
  • You must hold a visa that enables you to domicile in the United States*. You (or your parent, if you are a dependent) must be gainfully employed in Texas for at least 12 months preceding enrollment.
  • You (regardless of INS status) have petitioned for permanent residency status (have filed an I-130 or I-140).
  • You have resided in Texas for 36 consecutive months leading up to graduation from high school or the receipt of a GED certificate, living at least part of that time with a parent or court-appointed legal guardian. You have not established a residence in another state or location and have not taken ANY college hours prior to fall 2001 that required admission to an institution of higher education. (This includes hours taken through dual enrollment while attending high school).
Residency is determined by the Office of the Registrar. For more information on eligibility requirements and the Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident, please view Residency for Tuition Purposes. If you qualify for Resident status based on the criteria, you are eligible to apply for State aid. For more information and to apply for the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 academic year, please download, complete, and submit the TASFA from the Forms page.

*For more information regarding visas that enable you to domicile in the United States, please view the table of Immigration Visa Types.
As an International student, you may qualify for a few programs depending upon your visa status. For the 2016-2017 academic year, you may submit the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA). The priority date to submit the ISFAA is May 1. Completion of the ISFAA does not guarantee that aid will be awarded. With a U.S. co-signer, you may also be eligible to apply for an Alternative Student Loan.

As an undergraduate International student, you may qualify to pay in-state tuition and fees based on Section 54.052(j) of the Texas Education Code and may also be eligible for some state aid.
Mexican Citizens with Financial Need Waiver
The Mexican Citizens with Financial Need Waiver has been established to permit a small number of individuals with financial need, who are citizens of Mexico, to enroll in any public university in Texas while paying the resident tuition rate.
  • You must be a citizen of Mexico and reside in Mexico.
  • You must show financial need.
  • You must attend an eligible Texas public university.
To be eligible to receive this waiver, you must complete the 2016-2017 International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA). The application can be found on our Forms page.

Other financial assistance for international students may be reviewed at International Student Services. Application deadlines vary. Please review the specific application for more details.

When applying for federal student aid, the information you report on the FAFSA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The formula used to calculate your EFC is established by law and is used to measure your family's financial strength on the basis of your family's income, assets, family size and number of family members in post-secondary education. The EFC is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid as well as other student aid programs. Cost of Attendance (COA) is also referred to as a budget. Financial need is determined by subtracting the EFC from the COA. Please see the formula below.

    Cost of Attendance (COA)
-   Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
=  Financial Need

Your eligibility for need-based aid is determined by subtracting other outside financial assistance (scholarships) from the calculated financial need. Students are not allowed to receive aid that exceeds their Cost of Attendance.

    Cost of Attendance (COA)
-   Financial Aid Awarded So Far*
=  Eligibility for Non-need-based Aid

*Includes aid from all sources, including private scholarships

What Happens Next?
After the FAFSA: What Happens NextAfter the FAFSA: What Happens Next
If you are enrolled in summer courses at Texas A&M, we encourage you to complete the Summer Supplement on howdy.tamu.edu. Click the My Finances tab and enter the Scholarships & Financial Aid Portal. The Summer Supplement is available the spring prior to the summer session and must be submitted online. Summer awarding is on a first-come, first-served basis; therefore, it is important to get all required information submitted as soon as possible. The FAFSA from the previous fall and spring semester must be on file in order to determine your financial aid eligibility.
Some students are considered independent and may file the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA without including parental information. In order to qualify for independent status for the 2016-2017 academic year, you must be able to answer “yes” to one of the following questions and be able to provide supporting documentation.
  1. Were you born before January 1, 1994?
  2. As of today, are you married? (Also answer "Yes" if you are separated but not divorced.)
  3. At the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)?
  4.  Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  5. Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  6. Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018?
  7. Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2018?
  8. At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  9. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?
  10. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you in legal guardianship?
  11. At any time on or after July 1, 2016, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  12. At any time on or after July 1, 2016, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  13. At any time on or after July 1, 2016, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

Per Federal regulations, Scholarships & Financial Aid cannot consider the following conditions as an extenuating circumstance meriting a dependency status change:

  1. Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education;
  2. Parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification;
  3. Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes;
  4. Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.
Occasionally, unusual circumstances may exist that warrant a review of a student's dependency status. Please contact us via email at financialaid@tamu.edu or by telephone at (979) 845-3236 for more information.
There are several categories of Non-Degree Seeking Students at Texas A&M University:
  • Non-degree seeking - not admitted to a degree granting course of study (Not eligible for aid – No Appeal Process)
  • Taking required pre-requisite courses as determined by the department in order to be fully admitted as a graduate student
  • Post-baccalaureate teaching certification as part of a master’s program, but are not getting the master’s degree
  • Officially admitted to their program, but the department of major has classified them as a G9 because they need additional information; no conditions placed on them for admittance.
  • Officially admitted to their program, but the department of major has classified them as a U0 because they need remedial coursework; no conditions placed on them for admittance.
Non-Degree Seeking Students that are enrolled in classes but not formally admitted to a degree granting program due to the following reasons are not eligible for a Special Condition Appeal to be granted:
  • GRE not taken or test scores not received
  • Taking classes to raise their GPA
  • Interview process not completed
  • Application deadline missed
  • Formal admission dependent upon a condition required by the department
  • Taking classes to be accepted into a graduate program at another University
Students who are not in a degree-granting course of study may complete a Special Condition Appeal in order for our office to determine eligibility to receive financial assistance. Submission of the Special Condition Appeal Form does not guarantee the appeal will be granted and financial assistance will be awarded.

The appeal must be approved before a student will be offered any financial aid. Students also must be enrolled at least half-time and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please contact us via email at financialaid@tamu.edu or by phone at (979) 845-3236, if you need additional information.

The FAFSA opens October 1