Home > Verification
> IRS Data Retrieval Tool
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool electronically transfers your Federal Tax Return Information into your FAFSA.
Why use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Quick and easy
How to use the IRS DRT
- Log in to your current FAFSA or start a new FAFSA at studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa.
- In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a "Link to IRS" button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
- Click the "Link to IRS" button and log in to the IRS site to retrieve your tax return information.
- Review your tax return information and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
- Check the "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA" box, and click the "Transfer Now" button.
- The transferred data will be masked by the IRS for security purposes.
- Submit your FAFSA.
Note: If the Link to IRS option does not appear then the student/parent is not eligible to use the DRT tool.
To learn more about the IRS DRT, visit studentaid.gov/irsdrt