Home > Apply for Aid > TASFA


The State of Texas has a financial aid application for students who are not United States Citizens, but who are Texas residents.

To fill out this application, you must meet the one of the following three criteria:​​
  1. You resided in Texas for 36 consecutive months before earning a high school diploma or GED, and
    • Lived part of that time with a parent or legal guardian
    • Were not a resident of another state
    • Had not been admitted to a college and completed credit prior to 2001
  2. You hold a visa* that allows you to live in the United States.
    • You or your parent (if you are dependent) must be employed in Texas for at least 12 months before you enroll in college
  3. You (regardless of INS status) have filed an I-130 or I-140 to petition for permanent residency status
*For more information regarding visas that enable you to domicile in the United States, please view the table of  Immigration Visa Types.

  • TASFA form
  • Parent Tax Return Transcript: Get Transcript (Dependent students only)
  • Parent W-2 Forms (Dependent students only)
  • Student Tax Return Transcript: Get Transcript
  • Student W-2 Forms
  • Selective Service Registration Acknowledgement Card (male students only)
After your application is reviewed, you may be required to provide additional documents. If so, you will be contacted by a financial aid advisor with more details and instructions.
  • Double check documents before submitting. We cannot process documents without all required information and signatures.
  • Submit documents in person, by postal mail, fax, or Financial Aid Portal document upload
  • Check your tamu.edu email and financial aid portal regularly, as this is how we communicate with students.
  • Let us know if you have questions. We are here to help via email, over the phone, and in person.
  • Submit the application early! Funding is limited, so you could miss out on funds if you wait to submit your application.
  • Leave any questions blank on the TASFA form. ALL questions must have an answer. If you cannot answer a question or submit a document, please check with our office on what to do.
  • Email documents. This is not a secure way to send personal information.
  • Wait until the priority date to submit the TASFA. We process TASFAs by hand, so please give us enough time to review your application and request any missing documents.
Am I a Texas resident?
Residency is determined by the Office of the Registrar. For more information on eligibility requirements and the Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident, please view Residency for Tuition Purposes. If you qualify for Resident status based on the criteria, you are eligible to apply for State aid.
Can I fill out both the TASFA and FAFSA?
No. You are eligible for either the FAFSA, TASFA, or ISFAA. You may only fill out one application.
What if I did not work during the tax year?
If you did not work, you will not need to submit a W-2 or a Tax Return Transcript at this time. However, an advisor may ask you for further documentation to verify your information during processing. Please make sure that you have answered all questions about student earnings on the TASFA.
What if my parent is not authorized to work in the U.S.?
Even if your parent is not authorized to work in the U.S, he or she must file taxes on income earned in the U.S. If your parent earned more than $400 in cash, he or she may be considered an independent contractor and must file taxes. Please see IRS Publication 17 for more details on tax filing rules.

Texas A&M Students