The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is designed to help pay for educational expenses not covered by other financial aid. Texas A&M advises students to use their federal, direct loans first before utilizing Graduate PLUS loans. Award amounts are not based on financial need, but a credit check is required. Students are eligible for this loan up to their Cost of Attendance less any other aid already accepted.
- Be enrolled at least half-time in a graduate or professional program
- Have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with Texas A&M
- Complete the online application and entrance counseling on the Federal Student Aid website.
Loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2021 and before July 1, 2022
Loans disbursed on or after October 1, 2020
Repayment is deferred until the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment status. Interest will accrue during deferment. The student’s loan servicer will contact them about when the first payment is due. For more information visit, repaying your student loans
How to Apply
The 20201-2022 Graduate PLUS loan application is currently available on the Federal Student Aid website.
Graduate PLUS loans are based on credit, therefore in order to apply:
Log onto the Federal Student Aid website.
Sign in using your FSA ID.
Under “Apply for Aid”, Click on "Apply for a Plus Loan".
Select Direct PLUS Loan Request for Graduate/Professional Student Borrowers.
Follow through all steps of the application and submit.
You will receive an instant credit decision after submitting the application.
- Complete the PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students on the Federal Student Aid website.
- Complete Graduate/Professional Direct Loan Entrance Counseling on the Federal Student Aid website.
- Texas A&M University will receive your approved application and award the Graduate PLUS Loan.
- You can appeal the denial on the Federal Student Aid website.
- You can obtain an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history.
- If your loan is later approved, Texas A&M University will receive your approved application and award the Graduate PLUS Loan upon completion of the required Plus loan counseling.
How to Request an Increase
To increase your Graduate PLUS loan, you will need to follow these steps:
Login to the Federal Student Aid website.
Sign in using FSA ID
Click on “Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan”
Select Direct PLUS Loan Application for Graduate/Professional Students
Select award year
Under reason for direct plus loan request select “new” for a brand new PLUS loan amount OR select “change” to add to preexisting PLUS loan
Choose loan period
Once submitted, the request will be processed within 1-3 business days.
If your request is submitted within 180 days of the original request, a new credit check will not be required.